Sunday, October 4, 2015

Paleo Chicken Nuggets

Most of the time we eat leftovers for lunch, but I was feeling a little crazy and decided to make some chicken nuggets with rosemary sweet potato fries!

I was one of the many kids that grew up super excited to go through the drive-through and get a Happy Meal at McDonald's. Even more disgusting, I used to like the nuggets that were kinda grey and really juicy. Gross. Who knows what was even inside those.

Being a mom, I try to feed my son as healthy as I can. I do admit that he has eaten fast food and probably eats more cookies than he should, but for the most part he eats organic and for dinner he eats what we eat.

When I make this recipe again, I will definitely make the nuggets larger and try to get the "breading" thicker. Oh, and again, I need one of those splatter guards!!

Besides those issues, the actual nuggets tasted great! I made Rosemary Sweet Potatoes for a side and served some agave ketchup and homemade honey mustard for dipping.

For the Sweet Potatoes, I cleaned and sliced the potatoes into thin strips and then placed on a foil lined baking sheet. I drizzled EVOO over top and sprinkled with rosemary, salt, and pepper. I baked them at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes.






  • 1/2 cup almond flour
  • 3/4 cup tapioca flour
  • 1  cup full-fat, unsweetened coconut milk
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 2-3 cups organic shortening
  • 2-3 lbs chicken, cut into nugget sized chunks


Heat the shortening over medium heat in a saucepan.

Stir together the dry ingredients, then add the remaining ingredients.



Add all the chicken to the batter and stir to coat.

Using tongs, place a few pieces at a time into the hot oil, making sure they don't touch.



Cook about 5 minutes and then flip over for another 5 minutes.

Remove and place on a paper towel lined plate.



Repeat with remaining chicken.


No comments:

Post a Comment