Monday, October 12, 2015

Paleo Eggs Benedict with Coconut Flour Biscuits

I decided to make this "fancy" meal the other morning. Before paleo, Eggs Benedict was my FAVORITE breakfast. The regular version is full of fat and the English muffin is full of gluten and sugar. The hollandaise contains dairy, so the version in this recipe is dairy-free.

The biscuits turned out great and you could use them for a breakfast sandwich or burger.

I let the poached eggs go a minute or 2 longer than I would have liked, but it was only my second time making them and they still tasted good, just no runny yolk like I expected.

I made this for just my husband and me, so I only needed 4 eggs, plus the 3 yolks for the hollandaise.



Ingredients:

  • Ham, Canadian Bacon, or any other protein
  • 4-6 eggs
Hollandaise:
  • 4 Tbs ghee (or butter if not dairy-free), heated
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 3 Tbs cold water
  • 1 Tbs lemon juice

Coconut Flour Biscuits:
  • 1/3 cup coconut flour
  • 5 Tbs bacon grease (or softened butter or coconut oil)
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder

Start with the coconut biscuits:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Cover a baking sheet with foil and lightly grease.

Combine all ingredients in a medium-sized mixing bowl.



Form into 8-10 small balls and flatten slightly.

Bake for about 12 minutes




Poach the eggs:
Fill a saucepan with a couple inches of water and bring to a simmer.
Crack the eggs, carefully, right at the surface of the water and simmer for 2-3 minutes.

While the water is simmering and the eggs are cooking,
prepare the hollandaise sauce:
Combine the egg yolks and water in a blender.
While the blender is running, slowly stream in heated ghee or oil.
Mix in 1 Tbs lemon juice.



Place your coconut flour biscuits on a plate and top with your meat of choice.
Spoon out the poached eggs and place on top of the meat.
Finish by drizzling the hollandaise over top of the whole meal.








No comments:

Post a Comment