Sunday, October 4, 2015

Sticky Sesame Teriyaki Wings

Wow-wee! This recipe was a big winner in my house. My husband and I were starving by the time dinner was done. My son gobbled up his chicken with no complaining. Now that's definitely a win in my book!

You can use any type of chicken for this recipe. Legs and wings are usually cheaper than breasts, but you can use whatever you have in your freezer or whatever is on sale. I will definitely be making this recipe a staple in my house and trying it with different parts of the chicken.

I had a really hard time finding paleo-friendly chili sauce, but I also had a baby with me who was getting tired so I had to cut my shopping trip short. I also couldn't find fish sauce and omitted it from the recipe. It did not seem to make a difference.

I also left out the cashews and scallions and I just sprinkled the sesame seeds over top and seasoned the chicken liberally without measuring.

We ate this for dinner, but you can absolutely serve it at a party for appetizers.



Ingredients:

  • 2 lbs chicken wings/drumsticks
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 2 Tbs melted coconut oil or ghee (I used ghee)
  • 2 cloves garlic, grated
  • 1 tsp ginger, grated
  • 1/2 cup coconut aminos
  • 3 Tbs honey
  • 1 Tbs chili sauce
  • 1 tsp sesame oil
  • 1/2 tsp fish sauce
  • 1/2 cup raw cashews, roughly chopped
  • 2 Tbs sesame seeds
  • 1 scallion, sliced, for garnish


Preheat oven to 400 degrees. 

Line a baking sheet with foil and grease with a little olive oil so the chicken does not stick.
Season with salt and pepper.



Bake for 50 minutes or until crispy.

While the wings are cooking, heat the coconut oil or ghee in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
Add the garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.



Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the coconut aminos, honey, chili sauce, sesame oil, and fish sauce. Bring to a slow boil, reduce heat and let the sauce reduce and thicken. Pour into a mixing bowl.



In a small saute pan over medium heat, toast the cashew pieces until browned, about 5-10 minutes.

Add the crispy wings to the bowl of sauce and toss to coat.
Sprinkle with the sesame seeds and garnish with cashews and scallions.



No comments:

Post a Comment